We love recycling old items and giving them new life. These egg carton masks are no exception. Kids will love making their own DIY bird masks.
Egg cartons are the perfect recyclable craft material. Instead of throwing them away consider what else you can create from them. You could choose to make an egg carton caterpillar, a butterfly craft or even a cute egg carton turtle all from the same egg carrier.
- Cardboard Egg Carton: cut to have two eyes and a beak (see below)
- Paint: We chose to use washable tempera paint when little kids were painting these.
- Feathers, Pom Poms or Other Craft Supplies
- 1 Craft Stick per mask
- Glue Bottle
- Hot Glue Gun For Adults
- Good Scissors To Cut The Egg Carton: these are our favorite scissors for adults.
Before You Begin
Cut your egg carton to have two eyes and a beak. You can choose to poke the holes for the eyes before children start painting or after.
Step 1: Paint Your Mask
Let children have fun using tempera paints to design the mask. Painting the triangular part of the egg carton one color will help make the illusion of a beak.
Step 2: Hot Glue Craft Stick
Use a hot glue gun to attach a craft stick to the back side of the bird mask.
Step 3: Let Dry & Poke Holes
If you did not poke eye holes a the beginning you can use a pen or scissors.
Step 4: Decorate Your Mask
This is where the fun really starts. We used regular glue to attach feathers on to the egg carton. On another mask, we chose to use pom poms for a different feel.
Step 5: Let Dry
Have fun showing off your bird mask.
Follow us on Pinterest for more free art and craft ideas!
You can hot glue a craft stick (like we did) or poke holes in the side and add an elastic string to fit around your child’s head. Just make sure that there are eye holes so your child can see.
Yes, you can make all sorts of animals from egg cartons. Have fun being creative. You can add other craft materials like felt, pipe cleaners, faux fur and yarn to get the animal mask you want.
If you like this easy tutorial, be sure to give us 5 stars below 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 and have fun being creative with your family.
- Scissors for adults to cut egg carton
- Glue Bottle
- Glue Gun For adults only
- Pre-Cut Egg Carton 2 sections and "beak" per craft
- Tempera Paint you can use any colors you want
- Feathers or Pom Poms
- Craft Stick
Prep Egg Carton
- Cut a cardboard egg carton in so you have 2 cups and a beak for each mask.
Making Your Bird Mask
- Use tempera paint to paint the egg carton. Consider painting the beak one color to make it stand out.
- Let the painted egg carton fully dry.
- Poke holes with a pen or scissors in the eyes of the mask.
- Hot glue a craft stick onto the back of the egg carton on the side.
- Use a glue bottle and add feathers to your mask.
- Let dry and have fun wearing your egg carton mask.
- Instead of a craft stick, you could poke holes in the sides and tie an elastic string to hold your mask on.
- You can use any craft material, colors or designs to finish your bird mask.