This caterpillar craft is the perfect way to use materials you probably already have at home. You can make yours like the Hungry Caterpillar or just design your own creative egg carton caterpillar.
- Pre-Cut Egg Carton (1/2 of a cardboard one)
- Tempera Paint (we only used green and red since we were talking about the Very Hungry Caterpillar)
- Googly Eyes
- 1/2 of a regular pipe cleaner
- Scissors (for adults)
- Glue Bottle (if googly eyes are not stickers)
How To Cut An Egg Carton
Step 1: Cut Box In Half
Step 2: Cut The Egg Carrier
You are going to need six bumps for your caterpillar. Cut your egg carton carrier part in half. We found that flipping over our “cardboard” carrier made it easier to cut.
Step 3: Remove Excess From The Sides
You may have to cut the edges of your caterpillar bodies.
How To Make A Egg Carton Caterpillar
Before You Begin
You will need to cut the egg carton bodies for the children. Follow the steps listed above.
Step 1: Paint The Body and Face
You can use Very Hungry Caterpillar colors or your own colors. The finished preschool project used yellow mixed with green for the body and red on the face.
Step 2: Let Dry
Step 3: Glue On Eyes
Step 4: Poke Hole On Top Of The Head
Use a pen or tip of scissors to poke a hole in the top of the head.
Step 5: Make Antannae
Cut a normal-sized pipe cleaner in half. Twist the bottom together.
Step 6: Add Antennae
Stick the twisted pipe cleaner through the head of the caterpillar.
Optional Step: Add Vowels
If you are working on learning the vowels then this is a great addition to your caterpillar. Add a,e,i,o,u to the 5 parts of the hungry caterpillar body.
We just think this egg carton caterpillar is so adorable!
More Easy Crafts For Kids
- Easy Slowcooker Playdough Recipe
- Fun Paper Plate Flower Craft
- Easy Preschooler Watercolor Heart Painting
If you like this easy tutorial, be sure to give us 5 stars below 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 and have fun being creative with your family.
Egg Carton Caterpillar
- Scissors for adults to cut egg carton
- Glue Bottle if googly eyes are not stickers
- Pre-Cut Egg Carton 1/2 of a cardboard one
- Tempera Paint we only used green mixed with yellow and red since we were talking about the Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Paint brush
- Googly Eyes
- 1/2 piece Pipe Cleaner
Prep Egg Carton
- Cut cardboard egg carton in half and so it can sit nicely on a table.
Making Your Caterpillar
- Use tempera paint to paint the body and face. You can mix colors or use colors like the Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Let the painted egg carton fully dry.
- Glue on googly eyes. You can also draw on a mouth or other details.
- An adult should poke a hole in the top of the head.
- Twist pipe cleaner in half at the bottom to make two anntanae.
- Poke twisted pipe cleaner in the hole in the head.
- You can add feet with paper of pipe cleaners.
- If studying the vowels in preschool, you could as a,e,i,o,u paper cut-outs on top of the caterpillar to help reinforce that concept.