Are you looking for an easy sculpture idea for preschoolers or young children? This adorable egg carton turtle is the perfect craft for you.
We love recyclable art. We recommend using cardboard egg cartons for all of our egg carton crafts. Not only are they better for the environment than styrofoam, but they also are easier to work with.
Supplies You’ll Need
Notes About Supplies
- Any colors would work but we liked using a lighter and darker green
- Scissors, Glue Bottle or Hot Glue Gun (adults should assist if using the glue gun)
Before You Begin
Adults will need to help cut the egg cartons apart. This is actually the hardest part of this craft. The good news is that you only need one egg cup for each turtle. You could use the rest of the egg carton to make a fun 3-d butterfly craft.
How To Cut An Egg Carton
Step 1: Cut Box In Half
Step 2: Cut Egg Carton To Get Shell
Cut your egg carton carrier part in half. We found that flipping over our “cardboard” carrier made cutting easier.
Step 3: Remove Excess From The Sides
You may have to cut the edges to make your shell even.
Step 4: Cut Shell
How To Make Turtle Craft
Step 1: Paint Shell
With young children, it is best to use washable tempera paint. You can get more vibrant colors with acrylic, but it isn’t worth it in our opinion.
Let the child pick two colors to work stamp or print on to create a textured shell.
Step 2: Let Turtle Egg Carton Shell Dry
While the shell is drying, you can start to gather the other supplies needed.
Step 3: Make Turtle Legs
Cut your 1 pipe cleaner into 4 equal parts. Fold each cut part into 3 equal parts and twist them together.
Your goal is to make sturdier pipe cleaner legs for your turtle.
Step 4: Add Pom Head and Eyes
Either use a glue bottle or hot glue gun to add pom pom to the egg carton. Glue googly eyes on the sides well.
We thought it made our turtle cuter to use large googly eyes.
Step 5: Add Legs
Flip your egg carton shell over and use hot glue to attach your legs in the inside corners. If your legs are uneven, you can fold the ends of the pipe cleaners to give your turtle feet and make him balanced.
Follow us on Pinterest for more free art and craft ideas!
More Easy Crafts
- Fun Heart Preschool Painting Ideas
- The Best Slow Cooker Playdough Recipe
- Oobleck Slime Without Cornstarch That Will Keep Your Children Entertained For Hours
All the best beauty tips
9 More Easy Egg Carton Crafts For Preschooler
From recyclabe bird masks ideas to easy flowers we love these 9+ egg carton crafts.
Click here for the turtle craft webstory.
Do you like this art project? Be sure to give us 5 stars below 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 and have fun being creative with your family.
Egg Carton Turtle Craft
- Scissors for adults to cut egg carton
- Glue Bottle if googly eyes are not stickers
- Glue Gun For adults only
- Pre-Cut Egg Carton 1 cup per craft
- Tempera Paint you can use any colors you want, but we used light green and dark on the shell
- Paint brush
- Googly Eyes
- 1 piece Pipe Cleaner
- 1 Pom Pom
Prep Egg Carton
- Cut cardboard egg carton in so you have one cup for the shell.
Making Your Turtle
- Use tempera paint to paint the egg carton. Using two colors can create a textured shell look.
- Let the painted egg carton fully dry.
- Cut your 1 pipe cleaner into 4 equal parts. Fold each cut part into 3 equal parts and twist them together.
- Either use a glue bottle or hot glue gun to add pom pom pom to the egg carton.
- Glue on googly eyes. You can also draw on a mouth or other details.
- Flip your egg carton shell over. An adult should use hot glue to attach the legs in the inside corners.
- If your legs are uneven, you can fold the ends of the pipe cleaners to give your turtle feet and make him balanced.
- You could also make the head and legs out of paper instead of using pipe cleaners and pom poms.
- Let your young child experiment and have fun making this easy egg carton craft.