Egg cartons are the perfect material to repurpose into a new craft. This egg carton flower craft tutorial is perfect for an older child or adult who is just looking to get creative this afternoon.
Once I was created with my kiddos I realized how fun it is to work with recyclable materials and wanted to give making more realistic but easy egg carton flowers a try.
What could you use instead of floral wire?
Anything that is sturdy enough like a doll rod or bent pipe cleaner. I you are just making egg carton flowers with children, you could use a craft stick or not have a stem at all.
Step 1: Cut Apart Your Egg Carton
Each flower will consist of at least two cups. You need to cut the 12 cups apart in a regular cardboard egg carton.
Step 3: Cut Natural Lookin Shapes Out Of Each Cut
You can think of what flowers naturally look like and try to mimic some of the shapes you may see.
Cutting in “v’s” or slits in between petals will help your egg carton open up more.
You will layer the flowers together, so you also might want to cut and try to match the cups together to see if your designs make sense.
Step 3: Continue Cutting 2 Cups Per Flower
Create different shapes and designs with your scissors. Match two different cut egg carton cups together to make your flower base.
One of our favorites was a fringe-type design that created a fun texture for the center.
Step 4: Paint Your Flowers
Have fun with the colors. Consider creating a fun two-toned look by dipping your brush into two acrylic paint colors before painting.
Step 5: Let Dry
Let your painted egg carton flower cups fully dry. You can have fun with the paint colors or try to mimic color combinations you would see in nature.
Step 6: Poke Hole For Stem
You want this hole to be rather small. You can use a sharp pencil to help poke through the cardboard.
Step 7: Add Floral Wire
Fold the wire in half and put it through the small hole you poked.
Bend the ends a little.
Add hot glue to secure the wire inside the flower. Don’t worry if it is messy. You will be adding another cup and button on top to finish your flowers. You can also add a drop of hot glue to the bottom of the flower where the wire is coming out.
Step 8: Glue Second Cup Inside The Flower and Button
Use hot glue to add a second cup and a center for your flower.
Yes, you could keep layering the egg carton cups to make a more realistic-looking flower.
Make sure to double up the wire and add a drop of hot glue on the outside where the wire comes through the hole. This helps support the weight of the egg carton.
We just love this recyclable flower craft. These might even be a great gift idea for your loved ones. We could see our family working together for Mother’s Day or other holidays.
Related Craft Post
- Fun Pinch Pot Flower Lesson
- Unique Model Magic Food Sculpture Idea
- How To Easily Paint A Fall Tree With Watercolor Paint
- Easy Flower Painting For Kids Inspired by O’Keeffe
If you like this easy tutorial, be sure to give us 5 stars below 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 and have fun being creative with your family.
Egg Flower Craft For Kids
- Scissors for adults to cut egg carton
- Glue Gun For adults only
- Pre-Cut Egg Carton 2 cups per flower craft
- Acrylic Paint you can use any colors you want
- 1 Button
- 1 piece Floral Wire
Prep Egg Carton
- Cut a cardboard egg carton so that you have 12 cups from each carton (assuming that your carton was for a dozen eggs).
Making Your Flower
- Cut egg cartons to resemble flower petals. Consider cutting a fringe design, larger petals or slits in between petals. This will help the egg carton cups open up a little more.
- Match two different cut egg carton cups together to make your flower base.
- Use acrylic paint to paint the egg carton flower petals.
- Let the painted egg carton fully dry.
- Poke a small hole in the bottom of one egg carton flower cup.
- Bend the floral wire in half.
- Poke the wire through the hole so that 1/4"-1/2" is sticking out. Bend the ends and hot glue.
- Add a small dab of hot glue on the bottom of the egg carton flower to help support the weight of the egg carton.
- Hot glue a button in the center of your flower craft.
- You will layer the flowers together, so you also might want to cut and try to match the cups together to see if your designs make sense.
- Cardboard egg cartons will be easier to work with instead of styrofoam (and better for the environment, too).
- You can add more than 2 cups per flower depending on the look you are going for.