8 Creative Bleeding Tissue Paper Art Ideas
We love incorporating bleeding tissue paper into our artmaking. This magical paper reacts to water to create beautiful & vibrant colors that blend in unique ways. The possibilities are endless, and the results are always stunning. Check out these 9 awesome bleeding tissue paper art ideas and let the fun begin!
Where to buy bleeding tissue paper?
Bleeding tissue can be purchased at most local craft stores or online. You just want to make sure that the packaging specifically says “bleeding” on it. Do not get the paper wet until you plan to use it.
- Spectra Bleeding Tissue Paper: We have had a lot of success using this pack. There are a variety of colors and kids seem to be to work well with it.
- Hygloss Bleeding Tissue Paper: This paper can be found at local craft stores like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby.
- Pre-Cut Shapes: You can also purchase either Hygloss or Spectra tissue paper in pre-cut shapes.
Bleeding Tissue Paper vs. Regular Tissue Paper
- Special Dye: Bleeding tissue paper has a special dye that reacts to water, causing the colors to spread and blend. Regular tissue paper is designed to be absorbent and will not create the same effect when wet.
- Costs More: Bleeding tissue paper is often more expensive than regular tissue paper because of the special dye used in its production.
- Thinner: Bleeding tissue paper is typically thinner and more delicate than regular tissue paper.
- Fewer Colors: Bleeding tissue paper is available in a limited range of colors (but still a lot of colors), while regular tissue paper is available in a wider variety of colors and patterns.
- Meant For Art Projects: Bleeding tissue paper is specifically designed for art projects, while regular tissue paper is more commonly used for gift wrapping and other decorative purposes.
Bleeding Tissue Paper Art Projects
There are so many fun ways to use bleeding tissue paper from making backgrounds to dyeing Easter eggs.
Monet Water Lilies Art Lesson
We love using bleeding tissue paper to create backgrounds for art lessons and projects. Not only do kids create something beautiful, but they also work on being patient and developing fine motor skills.
Decoupage Tissue Paper On Clay
No time for glazing, no problem. You can decoupage bleeding tissue paper on clay pieces for a fun look. Add a fun clear coat to complete the look.
Easy Word Art Project Idea For Kids
Collaging bleeding tissue paper can add an extra element to a mixed media piece. Adults and children alike will love to create a unique "word" of Art.
How To Paint With Tissue Paper
Painting with bleeding tissue paper can be the start of a project or the end. Just make sure you are patient before pulling up the paper to see how the colors can blend together.
Bleeding Tissue Paper Birds on Canvas: Wall Art
This bird painting is awesome and perfect project for a beginner painter to try. Have fun experimenting with different colors in the background to get the look you want.
Tissue Paper Art Upcycled Tray | Hearth and Vine
Bleeding tissue paper is the perfect material to create nature scenes with. You can use colors that blend together well to make a unique piece. The background was created by taking tissue paper for that fun look.
Tie Dye Tissue Paper- Easy, Brilliant, Beautiful
This is a little different way to almost make your own bleeding tissue paper. The final product is sure to impress anyone. We can see using these to wrap gifts, as there own art display or as part of an awesome collage.
Easy Tissue Paper Easter Eggs: How to Color Without Food Dye
If you love dyeing Easter eggs but hate using food coloring, this idea may be for you. Wrap those eggs in bleeding tissue paper and let them soak. The hardest part is waiting to take the paper off!
Bleeding Tissue Paper FAQs
Bleeding tissue paper art is a technique where tissue paper is applied to a wet surface or water is added on top to create a fun color-mixing effect. The result is a unique and colorful artwork with a soft and blended appearance.
You can make a variety of projects such as paintings, collages, and decorations. This technique is a perfect way to create unique backgrounds in mixed media art.
It depends on what type of project you are using. You can seal a bleeding tissue paper art project to make it more durable. You can use glue, Mod Podge, or a sealant spray to seal the project. This will help protect the artwork from water and moisture and ensure it lasts for a long time. Just be careful if brushing on the clear coat if you don’t want your colors to blend more.
Most of these projects will take a while to dry because of the amount of water used to get the colors to blend. The drying time for bleeding tissue paper art projects can vary depending on the project and environment. It can take a few hours or overnight for the tissue paper to dry completely. To speed up the drying process, you can use a hairdryer or place the project in a well-ventilated area.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and YouTube for more free art and craft ideas!
More Fun Art Ideas
- 8 Unique Pinch Pot Ideas Kids Love
- How To Do A Watercolor Resist With Oil Pastels
- Non-Glaze Ways To Add Color To Clay
Bleeding tissue paper is a versatile and exciting material to work with in art projects. Whether you’re creating backgrounds, collages, or experimenting with painting techniques, the unique properties of bleeding tissue paper offer endless possibilities for creativity.